By Leah Berthold, RN, CDE
MassGeneral Hospital for Children Pediatric Endocrine Unit
Have you begun getting ready to send your child back to school? As the beginning of the school year comes closer, here are some important things to remember:
- Make sure you have a current Diabetes Medical Management plan (school orders) in place before the first day of school.
- Make an appointment with the school nurse to review the plan and bring all supplies needed to school before school starts. Meeting the nurse before school starts will help build a relationship and confidence for you, your child and the nurse. Refer to the box below for a list of supplies to keep at school.
- Be sure your child has a 504 plan in place. Review this plan every year.
- Give the school a hypoglycemia or “low” box with glucagon/glucose tablets/juice or whatever you prefer to treat low blood sugar
- Be sure all school personnel, including bus drivers and coaches, are educated about Type 1 Diabetes and know what to do for low blood sugar.