Easy Weekday Breakfast IdeasNovember 28, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Posted in Nutrition, recipes | Leave a comment
Tags: breakfast, Diabetes, DSME, easy, Eggs, leftovers, morning, oatmeal, Thanksgiving, weekday
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Don’t skip breakfast if you’re pressed for time in the morning – instead try one easy breakfast ideas from Janelle Langlais, a dietetic intern with the MGH Department of Nutrition and Food Services.
Turkey, Butternut Squash & Nuts
3/4 cup Butternut squash
¼ cup or 10-15 almonds/walnuts/pecans sliced/chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon (as desired)
1/8th tsp. ginger (as desired)
2-3 oz. Turkey (or chicken) breast
- Combine squash, turkey (or chicken) and spices in a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute (keep an eye on things).
- Add nuts and spices.
- Enjoy with ½ cup of skim milk, soy milk or water as desired!
Calories: 365 • Carbs 22g • Protein 29g
Avocado and Egg Sandwich
1 Egg or 2 Egg Whites
2 Slices low-Carb whole wheat bread Or 1 Whole Wheat English Muffin
¼ Avocado sliced or ¼ cup Guacamole
2 slices of tomato
¼ cup spinach
1 slice low-fat cheddar/American cheese
- Microwave egg or egg whites in a microwave-safe dish for 1 minute or until egg is firm. Or conventionally cook egg in a frying pan on stove with Pam or canola oil.
- Toast English muffin or bread in toaster/toaster oven.
- Top egg with cheese, avocado slices/guacamole, add tomato and spinach.
Calories: 330 • Carbs 24g • Protein 23g
Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats
1/3 cup oats
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup soy milk, slightly overflowing
1/2 banana (1/3 if it’s particularly large)
1/4 cup blueberries
1/8 cup Granola and/or chopped nuts
- Mash banana and blueberries together in a bowl until blended together. Stir in oats, yogurt, and milk. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, top with granola and/or walnuts, along with fresh berries/bananas, if desired.
Calories: 460 • Carbs 49g • Protein 20g