Just Announced: Due to high demand for flu vaccine, the Central Flu Clinic has been extended to Friday, November 8th.
Your primary care doctor and the Massachusetts General Hospital want to do everything possible to keep you healthy during the flu season. People with certain chronic health conditions, even if the conditions are well managed, have a higher risk of becoming dangerously sick from the flu.
Here is what you can do:
• Get a flu shot every year*.
• The best time to get a flu shot is in the fall. The MGH will have a Central Flu Clinic in the Main Lobby of the Wang Building, Monday, September 23 – Friday, November 1, 2013. Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (9:00 AM — 3:00 PM on Columbus Day, Monday, October 14). No Saturday dates are planned for this year. Please call the Toll Free Flu Shot Hotline at 1-877-733-3737 before you come in to confirm that we have vaccine in stock and that the clinic is open.
• If you live outside of Boston, your health center or primary care practice may have flu shot clinics as well. You may also get a flu shot at many locations in your community including boards of health, senior centers, or local drug stores.
For further information go to the MGH FluShot website at: http://www.massgeneral.org/flu
*if you think you are allergic to eggs, please contact your doctor
To protect your family’s health:
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water. You can also use alcohol-based hand cleaners.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
• Keep your home and work spaces clean.
• Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
• If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care. Keep away from others as much as possible to keep from making them sick.
• If you think you have the flu, call your primary care doctor’s office for advice. They are here to help!